Scheme's dynamic-wind serves the same purpose as unwind-protect (except with entry conditions as well, since a continuation could suddenly return into your protected code), and plays nicely with continuations. I'm not sure about the details, though.
The only thing that seems to affect, going by comments, is the conversion from characters to integers and vice versa. If that's the only actual problem, there are only about ten places in the Arc code that need some replacement fix.
Okay, can someone point me at a good tutorial that talks about how we're supposed to commit with git push?
No matter what I do, I can't seem to clear the warnings given by git status:
I've tried the helpfully suggested lines it mentions:
git reset HEAD import.arc
git reset HEAD lib/import.arc
git rm import.arc
git add lib/import.arc
and git push at various times, and I can't seem to get it to stop warning me about things I need to do, and no matter how many times I git push, nothing seems to change on the web summary. Is there some equivalent of the basic 'svn commit -m "comment" ' that does the trick?
Git makes a distinction between your local repository and remote repositories. You have to commit your change to your local repo before you can push it to the remote one. So first you "git commit," then you "git push."
The total workflow goes something like this:
git clone git://nex-3.com/arc-wiki.git
emacs lib/import.arc # Make your edits
git add lib/import.arc # Schedule lib/import.arc for committing
git commit # Commit lib/import.arc to your local repo
git push # Push your local changes to the remote repo
The "git add" step is due to a little idiosyncrasy of Git where "commit" doesn't commit any changes you don't explicitly tell it to via "git add." You can also do "git commit -a" to automatically add all changes before you commit.
Also, "git commit" takes the same -m parameter that "svn commit" does.
The import.arc stuff is a sketch. One of it's many shortcomings is that if you define a function blah and then use it from inside the same module/file, it won't be able to find blah, because it's been silently renamed |modulename blah| .
The problem you're having seems to be different, though.
After looking, I realize that my testing process was masking a bug where I didn't change some symbol dereference. It's fixed now on my machine, but I'm new to git, and not sure what I need to do to make it show up in the repository. I did git push, but that doesn't seem to have made it appear in the commit list.
EDIT: okay, nex3 helpfully explained things to me, so this fix is in the arc-wiki repo now. It still doesn't change use points, though, as mentioned above.
Replying to myself because it seems as good a place as any...
We could walk the tree of a module and patch up any symbols we find that were referenced in a def or mac, but that's not a clean solution, since it can't find all actual calls (something could be building up names, for example, which we'd never find by walking the tree).
What this means is that any module system built right now, as far as I can tell, will have to require support from those writing the modules, but since renaming modules is implicit in how import.arc works at the moment, there's no way to know what the call should look like, for the module programmer. I can't see any way around this except to change Arc itself to make function and macro definitions respect lexical boundaries, rather than all being bound at the top level. Until that change is made, all we can do is fake a module system.
It's because the ~: syntax is expanded at evaluation time, not at read-time. The Arc compiler looks at each symbol, and if it has one of those characters, it splits on the :, wraps in (compose ...), and adds a (complement ...) form every time the section begins with ~.